Rate and simulate spiral plate exchangers
A fully incremental program, Xspe® lets you quickly and easily predict the thermal-hydraulic performance of Type I (i.e., spiral-spiral flow) single-phase spiral plate exchangers.
As a module in HTRI Xchanger Suite®, Xspe provides an easy-to-use interface with a rich, visual reporting system and also lets you quickly transfer applicable case data to other components.
- Xspe models Type I (spiral-spiral flow) exchangers with sensible liquid or vapor streams.
- 3D incrementation calculates local profiles for heat transfer and pressure drop.
- Detailed output reports provide overall and localized results.
- Extensive visualization tools show exactly how the exchanger is performing.
- Integrated physical property system eliminates requirement for additional property generation software. Xchanger Suite includes VMGThermo™, an extensive and rigorous fluid physical property generator, from Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- Xspe integrates with other engineering tools such as process simulators, and CAPE-OPEN compliance ensures the broadest range of compatibility with other process simulation and physical property software.
- Both input and output support multiple unit sets, and custom unit sets can be defined.
- Type I configurations (spiral-spiral flow)
- Cocurrent and countercurrent flow configurations
- Graphical nozzle location panel
- Built-in standard nozzle sizing tables
- Rigorous heat transfer and pressure drop calculations performed using a 3D incrementation scheme to divide the exchanger into a large number of zones
- Flexible process input that allows specification of known process information (temperature, weight fraction vapor, and/or flowrate) with the program calculating missing information based on energy balance
- Two modes: rating (known duty and geometry) and simulation (unknown duty and known geometry)
- Automatic calculation of the number of turns
- Optional specification of heat transfer coefficients and safety factors
- Extensive set of spreadsheet-style output reports that can be printed or exported to Microsoft® Excel®
- Summary reports with overall results in one or two pages
- Detailed reports for local profiles of all important parameters (temperature, pressure, heat transfer coefficients, heat flux, etc.)
- Selectable font sizes to make reports easy to view
- Customizable unit sets that can be changed dynamically as you work
- Scaled drawing that provides visual confirmation of exchanger geometry
- Plots of fluid properties so you can easily examine input or generated properties
- Plots of local performance variables that allow you to quickly spot any performance issues such as an internal temperature pinch