Rate and simulate spiral plate exchangers
Xspe® is an incremental program that lets you quickly and easily predict the thermal-hydraulic performance of Type I (i.e., spiral-spiral flow) single-phase spiral plate exchangers. The program is continually improved using the heat transfer and pressure drop correlations from our ongoing research.
As a module in Xchanger Suite®, Xspe lets you quickly transfer process and property information to other components.
- Models Type I (spiral-spiral flow) exchangers with sensible liquid or vapor streams.
- 3D incrementation calculates localized profiles for heat transfer and pressure drop.
- Detailed output reports provide overall and localized results.
- Extensive visualization tools show exactly how the exchanger is performing.
- Integrated physical property system eliminates requirement for additional property generation software. Xchanger Suite includes VMGThermo™, an extensive and rigorous fluid physical property generator from Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- Includes built-in interface to most process simulators.
- Can be embedded as a unit operation in any process simulator supporting CAPE-OPEN.
- Both input and output can be displayed in multiple unit sets, including user-defined sets. Dynamic display of values in all unit sets.
- Session view allows tracking and retrieval of all runs made during a session.
- Type I configurations (spiral-spiral flow)
- Cocurrent and countercurrent flow configurations
- Graphical nozzle location panel
- Built-in standard nozzle sizing tables
- Adjustable gap spacing and stud pitch
- Rigorous heat transfer and pressure drop calculations using a 3D incrementation scheme that divides the exchanger into a large number of zones
- Flexible process input allowing specification of known process information (temperature, weight fraction vapor, and/or flowrate) with the program calculating missing information based on energy balance
- Two modes: rating (known duty and geometry) and simulation (unknown duty and known geometry)
- Automatic calculation of the number of turns
- Optional specification of heat transfer coefficients and safety factors
- User adjustable increments specifies calculation resolution
- Extensive set of spreadsheet-style output reports that can be printed or exported to Microsoft® Excel®
- Summary reports with overall results in one or two pages
- Detailed reports for local profiles of all important parameters (temperature, pressure, heat transfer coefficients, heat flux, etc.)
- Graphing of all local profiles
- 2D drawing of exchanger core
- User-defined graphs for easy accessibility