Xphe | HTRI
Design, rate, and simulate plate-and-frame heat exchangers
A fully incremental program, Xphe® contains HTRI’s latest pointwise methods based on literature and proprietary HTRI experimental data. As part of our ongoing research program, we continually improve and extend the heat transfer and pressure drop correlations in our software. And because it is part of HTRI Xchanger Suite®, Xphe lets you quickly transfer applicable case data to other components like Xist® or Xace®.
Xphe is the industry standard for designing, rating, and simulating plate-and-frame heat exchangers.
- Xphe handles virtually any plate-pack arrangement.
- 2D incrementation calculates local profiles for heat transfer and pressure drop.
- Detailed output reports provide overall and localized results.
- Extensive visualization tools show exactly how your exchanger is performing.
- Integrated physical property system eliminates requirement for additional property generation software. Xchanger Suite includes VMGThermo™, an extensive and rigorous fluid physical property generator, from Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- Xphe integrates with other engineering tools such as process simulators, and CAPE-OPEN compliance ensures the broadest range of compatibility with other process simulation and physical property software.
- Both input and output support multiple unit sets, and custom unit sets can be defined.
- Herringbone plates with chevron angles from 0 to 90 degrees
- Built-in databank of plate geometries from multiple vendors
- Custom plate geometries defined and saved for future use
- 1 to 6 passes for each fluid
- Cocurrent or countercurrent flow in channels
- Up to five different plate types per plate pack
- Single or multiple packs in series
- Benefit from rigorous heat transfer and pressure drop calculations performed using a 2D incrementation scheme that divides the exchanger into a large number of zones
- Specify known process information (temperature, weight fraction vapor, and/or flow rates), and the program calculates any missing information
- Select from several modes: rating (known duty and geometry), simulation (unknown duty and known geometry), or design (known duty and unknown geometry)
- Take advantage of the built-in port maldistribution model to calculate flow in each channel
- Specify safety factors and heat transfer coefficients
- Support for non-Newtonian process fluids
- Classic design mode to determine pack configuration, including number of hot/cold passes and required number of plates, automatically
- Grid design mode to vary geometry over user-specified ranges and step sizes
- Design constraints to prevent selection of undesirable designs
- Design grid to keep all alternative designs at your fingertips
- Extensive set of spreadsheet-style output reports that can be printed or exported to Microsoft® Excel®
- Summary reports with overall results in one or two pages
- Detailed reports for local profiles of all important parameters (temperature, pressure, heat transfer coefficients, heat flux, etc.)
- Standard API 662/ISO 15547 style specification sheet
- Selectable font sizes to make reports easy to view
- Customizable unit sets that can be changed dynamically as you work
- 2D scaled drawing provides visual confirmation of exchanger geometry
- 2D and 3D plots of local performance variables allow you to quickly spot any performance issues such as an internal temperature pinch
- Design and Series views allow plotting of variables across alternative designs and between frames in series