Rate, simulate, and design plate-and-frame heat exchangers
Xphe® is an incremental program that contains HTRI’s latest pointwise methods based on literature and proprietary experimental data. The heat transfer and pressure drop correlations are continually improved as a result of our ongoing research.
As a module in Xchanger Suite®, Xphe lets you quickly transfer applicable case data to other components like Xist® or Xace®.
- Handles virtually any plate-pack arrangement.
- 2D incrementation calculates localized profiles for heat transfer and pressure drop.
- Detailed output reports provide overall and localized results.
- Extensive visualization tools show exactly how the exchanger is performing.
- Integrated physical property system eliminates requirement for additional property generation software. Xchanger Suite includes VMGThermo™, an extensive and rigorous fluid physical property generator from Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- Includes built-in interface to most process simulators.
- Can be embedded as a unit operation in any process simulator supporting CAPE-OPEN.
- Both input and output can be displayed in multiple unit sets, including user-defined sets. Dynamic display of values in all unit sets.
- Session view allows tracking and retrieval of all runs made during a session.
- Includes live configuration drawing for easy specification of complex flow arrangement.
- Herringbone plates with chevron angles from 0 to 90 degrees
- Built-in databank of plate geometries from multiple vendors
- Custom plate geometries defined and saved for future use
- One to six passes for each fluid
- Cocurrent or countercurrent flow in channels
- Up to five different plate types per plate pack
- Single or multiple packs in series
- Rigorous heat transfer and pressure drop calculations using a 2D incrementation scheme that divides the exchanger into a large number of zones
- Flexible process input allowing specification of known process information (temperature, weight fraction vapor, and/or flow rates) with the program calculating missing information based on energy balance
- Three modes: rating (known duty and geometry), simulation (unknown duty and known geometry), and design (known duty and unknown geometry)
- Built-in port maldistribution model for calculating flow in each channel
- Optional specification of heat transfer coefficients and safety factors
- Support for non-Newtonian process fluids
- Classic design mode to automatically determine pack configuration, including number of hot/cold passes and required number of plates
- Grid design option to vary geometry over user-specified ranges and step sizes
- Design constraints to prevent selection of undesirable designs
- Extensive set of spreadsheet-style output reports can be printed or exported to Microsoft® Excel®
- Summary reports with overall results in one or two pages
- Detailed reports for local profiles of all important parameters (temperature, pressure, heat transfer coefficients, heat flux, etc.)
- Standard API 662/ISO 15547 style specification sheet
- 2D scaled drawing provides visual confirmation of exchanger geometry, allowing for quick identification of performance issues
- Design and Series views allow plotting of variables across alternative designs and between frames in series
- User-defined graphs for easy accessibility