Design and simulate plate-fin exchangers
A fully incremental program, Xpfe® contains pointwise methods based on extensive experimental data. The heat transfer and pressure drop correlations are continually improved as a result of our ongoing research program. And as part of HTRI Xchanger Suite®, Xpfe lets you quickly transfer applicable case data to other components like Xist®.
- Xpfe models axial and crossflow configurations.
- Incremental calculations provide localized profiles for heat transfer and pressure drop.
- Detailed output reports provide overall and localized results.
- Extensive visualization tools show exactly how the exchanger is performing.
- Integrated physical property system eliminates requirement for additional property generation software. Xchanger Suite includes VMGThermo™, an extensive and rigorous fluid physical property generator, from Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- Xpfe loads input files from HTFS™, Honeywell’s UniSim® Plate-Fin Exchanger Modeler, and AspenTech’s Aspen Plate Fin Exchanger products. Xpfe also integrates with Honeywell’s UniSim® Design process simulator.
- Both input and output support multiple unit sets, and custom unit sets can be defined.
- Axial and crossflow configurations
- Horizontal, vertical, and inclined exchangers
- Up to 360 layers per exchanger
- Plain, serrated, wavy, and perforated fin types
- Aluminum, stainless steel, titanium, or user-defined exchanger material
- Up to 20 process streams
- Up to 20 fin types per exchanger
- Full, diagonal, indirect, mitered, and hardway distributor types
- Single-phase, condensing, or boiling process fluids
- Splitting and combining redistribution
- Kettle and thermosiphon reboilers
- Multiple banking of layers
- Layer-by-layer or common wall temperature calculation modes
- Multiple fin types per process fluid
- User-defined flow maldistribution
- Longitudinal conduction through fins
- Design mode for axial flow exchangers
- No geometry data required
- Optional entry of partial geometry
- Design constraints (e.g., allowable pressure drop)
- Extensive set of spreadsheet-style output reports that can be printed or exported to Microsoft® Excel®
- Summary reports with overall results in one or two pages
- Detailed reports for local profiles of all important parameters (temperature, pressure, heat transfer coefficients, heat flux, etc.)
- Selectable font sizes to make reports easy to view
- Customizable unit sets that can be changed dynamically as you work
- 2D and 3D scaled drawings provide visual confirmation of exchanger geometry
- 2D and 3D plots of local performance variables allow you to quickly spot any performance issues such as an internal temperature pinch
- Flow configuration tool allows graphical layout of stream arrangement