Rate, simulate, and design shell-and-tube heat exchangers
Xist® is an incremental program that contains HTRI’s latest pointwise methods based on extensive shellside and tubeside condensation, boiling, and single-phase data. The heat transfer and pressure drop correlations are continually improved as a result of our ongoing research.
As a module in Xchanger Suite®, Xist lets you quickly transfer applicable case data to other components like Xvib® or Xace®.
- 3D incrementation calculates localized profiles for heat transfer and pressure drop.
- Integrated tube layout tool allows complete customization of layout and is based on a full ASME mechanical design.
- Input via hierarchical data panels or TEMA specification sheet.
- Vibration screening warns of probable vibration problems.
- Extensive visualization tools show exactly how the exchanger is performing.
- Integrated physical property system eliminates requirement for additional property generation software. Xchanger Suite includes VMGThermo™, an extensive and rigorous fluid physical property generator from Virtual Materials Group, Inc.
- Includes built-in interface to most process simulators and mechanical design software.
- Can be embedded as a unit operation in any process simulator supporting CAPE-OPEN.
- Both input and output can be displayed in multiple unit sets, including user-defined sets. Dynamic display of values in all unit sets.
- Loads input files from HTFS™, Honeywell UniSim® Shell-Tube Exchanger Modeler, and Aspen Shell & Tube Exchanger™.
- Integration with Exchanger Optimizer™ provides embedded costing features, which include fabrication, installation, and operational estimates for design cases.
- All TEMA front head, rear head, and shell styles
- Plain, low-finned, continuous-finned, and longitudinal-finned tubes
- Twisted tape inserts and internal microfin tubes
- Up to 24 tubepasses
- Single-segmental, No-Tube-In-Window (NTIW), double-segmental, rod-type baffles, helical baffles, EMbaffles®, SquareOne™ baffles, and non-baffled configurations
- Single shell, shells in series, shells in parallel, and series/parallel combinations
- Detailed reboiler piping specification
- Rigorous heat transfer and pressure drop calculations using a 3D incrementation scheme that divides the exchanger into a large number of zones
- Flexible process input allowing specification of known process information (temperature, weight fraction vapor, and/or flow rate) with the program calculating missing information based on energy balance
- Three modes: rating (known duty and geometry), simulation (unknown duty and known geometry), and design (known duty and unknown geometry)
- Automatic screening for flow-induced acoustic and mechanical tube vibration
- Specialized calculations and procedures for kettle reboilers, flooded evaporators, thermosiphons, reflux condensers, and falling film evaporators
- Optional specification of heat transfer coefficients and safety factors
- Automatic optimization of shell diameter, baffle spacing, number of tubepasses, and tube length
- Grid design option to vary geometry over user-specified ranges and step sizes
- Design constraints to prevent selection of undesirable designs
- Best buildable design determined using Smart Design approach, which employs heuristics to find optimal shell size, tubepass arrangement, baffle spacing, and tube length
- Embedded Ultra engine to generate rapid deign results
- Smart Design used in combination with a grid approach to access a wider range of parameters such as shell or baffle type
- Extensive set of spreadsheet-style output reports can be printed or exported to Microsoft® Excel®
- Summary reports with overall results in one or two pages
- Detailed reports for local profiles of all important parameters (temperature, pressure, heat transfer coefficients, heat flux, etc.)
- Standard TEMA specification sheet
- 2D and 3D scaled drawings provide visual confirmation of exchanger geometry, allowing for quick identification of performance issues
- User-defined graphs for easy accessibility